Monday, July 29, 2013

Upcoming: “Children of Fire” by Drew Karpyshyn (Del Rey)

Karpyshyn-ChildrenOfFire

I actually stumbled across this novel via NetGalley a little while ago (I really need to get my ass in gear and read-and-review it…). Today, though, I caught a Tweet by Del Rey UK with the British cover artwork, so I thought I’d finally share it on the blog. Out of the two, I think I prefer the UK cover (it’s darker and, dare I say it, grittier), although I do like that they’ve maintained the overall colour palette for the newer UK artwork (on the left).

This is the best synopsis I was able to find, from Random House (New Zealand, strangely)…

Wizard, Warrior, Prophet, King. The Immortal Daemron, know as the Slayer, was all these things before his ascension.

Trapped in a realm of Chaos for centuries by the Old Gods, using a magical barrier known as The Legacy, a last desperate ritual will herald the return of Chaos to the human world, and the lives of four children will never be the same.

The mortal realm is a balance of secular and religious authority, with The Order of the Crown holding much power over humanity, its members gifted with amazing abilities and all children with magical talents are theirs to claim.

Cassandra, Vaaler, Scythe and Keegan grow up in different places and with different lives, but all share the taint of Chaos magic. As various factions struggle to find the best solution to the coming return of Chaos, the fate of the world is in their hands.

I’ve enjoyed some of Karpyshyn’s Star Wars novels, so I’m intrigued to see how good his own stuff is. Hopefully I’ll get to this in the not-too-distant-future.

[Incidentally, yes – I do have better access to the internet for a little while, which should see an up-tick in posting for a week or so.]

No comments:

Post a Comment