Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Booker Prize Longlist Announced

The Booker Prize longlist has been announced. The prize is awarded for the “best English-language novel by an author from the Commonwealth”. Here is the list:

Booker2012longlist

Nicola Barker, The Yips (Fourth Estate)

Ned Beauman, The Teleportation Accident (Sceptre)

André Brink, Philida (Harvill Secker)

Tan Twan Eng, The Garden of Evening Mists (Myrmidon Books)

Michael Frayn, Skios (Faber & Faber)

Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Doubleday)

Deborah Levy, Swimming Home (And Other Stories)

Hilary Mantel, Bring Up the Bodies (Fourth Estate)

Alison Moore, The Lighthouse (Salt)

Will Self, Umbrella (Bloomsbury)

Jeet Thayil, Narcopolis (Faber & Faber)

Sam Thompson, Communion Town (Fourth Estate)

I have read none of them. More can be found on the prize’s website (which is also where I got the image). The shortlist (of six) will be announced on September 11th, and the winner will be named October 16th.

5 comments:

  1. The teleportation accident looks kinda fun, but it doesn't look like there's any fantasy in the list. I'll recheck before I get sad at another Booker speculative snub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Teleportation Accident is fun. Actually rather more than kind of. But... it's not really sf at all, excepting parts of the premise.

      Given which, the longlist's basically genre-free. So as expected. Though the optimist in me thought maybe 2312 would have had a shot.

      Delete
    2. I may give Teleportation Accident a try, then. I hadn't seen any mention of these books around the bookosphere (even on non-SFF sites), so I had no idea what people thought of it.

      Delete
    3. Oh, you should, sir. Tor.com will be posting my review any day now, so if you're still on the fence...

      Delete
    4. Given my aversion to reading books that I'd like to or am going to read, I shall take your word for it. :)
      [And then compare notes later...]

      Delete