Sunday, July 15, 2012

Upcoming: “The Explorer” by James Smythe

Not a whole lot of science-fiction features on Civilian Reader (save for WH40k, and a select few others). I’ve always been drawn more to fantasy and thrillers than science fiction, for some reason. I’ve enjoyed most science fiction I’ve read, though, so I don’t know why I don’t feature more on here. Maybe that should be my mid-year’s resolution?

Anyway, that’s neither here nor there. I wanted to share the cover for James Smythe’s upcoming science fiction novel, The Explorer:

Smythe-TheExplorer

I really like this cover. There’s something beautiful in its simplicity. And frightening in the imagery. I’m really looking forward to this novel. Here’s the synopsis:

When journalist Cormac Easton is selected to document the first manned mission into deep space, he dreams of securing his place in history as one of humanity’s great explorers.

But in space, nothing goes according to plan.

The crew wake from hypersleep to discover their captain dead in his allegedly fail-proof safety pod. They mourn, and Cormac sends a beautifully written eulogy back to Earth. The word from ground control is unequivocal: no matter what happens, the mission must continue.

But as the body count begins to rise, Cormac finds himself alone and spiralling towards his own inevitable death… unless he can do something to stop it.

1 comment:

  1. Dunno why but seeing the cover & synopsis kinda vaguely remind me of Dead Space game....

    ReplyDelete