Thursday, August 11, 2011

US vs. UK Artwork: Michael Sullivan’s RIYRIA REVELATIONS (Orbit)

Sullivan-RiyriaRevelations-UKUS-Omnibus

Over on the author’s website, you can now see the UK artwork of Michael Sullivan’s upcoming Riyria Revelations omnibus editions. They are based on the artwork that makes up the US editions, but with a much closer feel to them. If I’m honest, I’m not entirely sure which ones I prefer – both are pretty good, but I think I may be leaning more towards the US artwork, this time around. What do you think? (Images side-by-side after the break.)

For each, I’ve put the UK artwork first.

Theft of Swords:

Sullivan-1-TheftOfSwords

(Collects The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha)

Rise of Empire:

Sullivan-2-RiseOfEmpire

(Collects Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm)

Heir of Novron:

Sullivan-3-HeirOfNovron

(Collects Wintertide and Percepliquis)

The UK covers make the series appear more character-oriented, perhaps (I haven’t read any of the novels, just yet, but I have a copy of Theft of Swords from Michael, which I will be reading quite soon).

Is it just me, or does the guy on Theft of Swords and Heir of Novron look a little bit like a skinnier Jason Statham?

Which is your favourite?

*     *     *

Also on CR: An Interview with Michael Sullivan

1 comment:

  1. demented4fun@yahoo.comFebruary 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

    I like the US art work better since it gives more detail. Both are very good,.. and not like some who have stupid art. These are terrific.

    ReplyDelete