Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Week in Review (Mar.4-10)

Here we go with the week’s links round-up… (Although, I must apologise for not paying too much attention to things in the second half of the week.)

Locke Lamora Read-Along Bonus #1: It Came From Burger King” by Scott Lynch

This is a blog-post that I actually caught same day I posted the previous Week in Review, but I wanted to share it nevertheless. After Lynch discovered that some blogs are doing Lies of Locke Lamora read-alongs, he decided to put together some bonuses as a thank you. This is the first. Locke Lamora was the novel that got me back into fantasy, and I really must read it again sometime. If you haven’t read it yet, then I STRONGLY recommend you do so. It’s fantastic, as is its sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies.

Iceberg Ink: “Interview with Dave Duncan

An author I’ve not managed to read anything by, but I enjoyed the interview, so I think I’ll have to try to pick something up at some point.

Mad Hatter’s Bookshelf & Book Review: An Interview with Martha Wells

An interesting interview with an author I really wish I had the time to read! I’ll do my best to check out her novels.

Mad Hatter’s Bookshelf & Book Review: “A. Lee Martinez on Supervillains

Another great post from Michael’s blog this week. The title’s pretty self-explanatory, so I recommend you just go over there and read it. Go on! Git!

Wired: “Michael Chabon Attacks Prejudice Against Science Fiction

Thanks to Ellen Wright for tweeting the link to this (would probably have missed it otherwise). Chabon is one of those authors on my “Why the hell haven’t I read them yet?” – in particular, his novel Kavalier & Clay, which Alyssa and Emma both have badgered me about reading. I may well get around to it in the next month-or-so, as I’ve been intentionally reading beyond SF/F just to keep things fresh (for me and the blog). Chabon also wrote a number of nice pieces about super-heroes, which I’d recommend as well: for example, in the New Yorker.

Far Beyond Reality: “Throne of the Crescent Moon” by Saladin Ahmed (Review)

Great, in-depth review. Read my own, here.

I know I missed some, so feel free to share in the comments.

***

And this week’s content from Civilian Reader: a review of Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson (a good return to form for the insanely successful author), a video interview with Adam Baker, a review of Paul S. Kemp’s Hammer & the Blade (maybe the first? Not really sure about that…), guest post on the Soulborn Saga by Kevin Breaux. Overall, a pretty good week.

Next week, I’ve got at least one review (Stuart Woods’s 2000 novel, The Run), two interviews (Gail Carriger and Gaie Sebold), more comics reviews, and hopefully a couple of graphic novel reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment