Monday, September 02, 2013

Upcoming: ARMADA by Ernest Cline (Crown)

ClineE-ArmadaAnyone who’s been following Civilian Reader for a while, should have spotted my glowing, gushing review of Ernest Cline’s debut novel, Ready Player One. Ever since I read that novel (devoured, it really), I have been on the look-out for information on his next fiction project. The other week, I stumbled across the information for Armada over on excellent The Book Smugglers website. So I’m going to shamelessly pinch the info from them, and share it here. Here’s the synopsis…

Lightman is daydreaming through another dull math class when the high-tech dropship lands in his school’s courtyard-and when the men in the dark suits and sunglasses leap out of the ship and start calling his name, he’s sure he’s still dreaming.

But the dream is all too real; the people of Earth need him. As Zack soon discovers, the videogame he’s been playing obsessively for years isn’t just a game; it’s part of a massive, top-secret government training program, designed to teach gamers the skills they’ll need to defend Earth from a possible alien invasion. And now…that invasion is coming.

As he and his companions prepare to enter their ships and do battle, Zack learns that the father he thought was dead is actually a key player in this secret war. And together with his father, he’ll uncover the truth about the alien threat, race to prevent a genocide, and discover a mysterious third player in the interplanetary chess game he’s been thrown into.

Armada is due to be published by Crown Publishing in the US (July 2014) – no news yet on the UK or other international publishers. Be sure to follow Cline on Twitter, too, for more up-to-the-minute news. I was also able to find the following image on Forces of Geek, which was categorised as “Poster”, but it was cool enough that I thought I’d share it here as well…

ClineE-Armada-Poster

4 comments:

  1. I'm actually reading Ready Player One right now.

    This new book sounds amazingly like The Last Starfighter, though.

    RG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is intentional. Although, I've never seen The Last Starfighter, so I needed someone else to point that out to me... :s

      Delete
  2. I'm almost done with Ready Player One, in fact my Googling for related poster art brought me here. Now that I know there is another book, at least in the works I'm excited. However... I can't seem to find it for sale. Perhaps it's not been released yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK it's not going to be out until July 2015, now. (According to Amazon.) Strangely, Amazon US doesn't have a link for the novel... That's problematic. It's possible there has been a problem/issue that has led the publisher to push back the release date. Happens. Just surprising that it's going to be delayed by this much.

      Delete