Monday, April 30, 2012

Artwork: SEVEN WONDERS by Adam Christopher & BEST SERVED COLD by Joe Abercrombie

I spotted both of these new covers for the first time today, and thought I’d share them here because they’re fantastic.

First up, we have the artwork for Seven Wonders, the second novel by Adam Christopher, to be published by Angry Robot books in August/September 2012:

Christopher-SevenWonders

I thought this one was great, and I love the aesthetic (which sort-of matches Empire State’s style). I hadn’t been aware that more information had been released for this novel, but I am very intrigued by the premise:

Tony Prosdocimi lives in the bustling Metropolis of San Ventura – a city gripped in fear, a city under siege by the hooded supervillain, The Cowl.

When Tony develops super-powers and acts to take down The Cowl, however, he finds that the local superhero team Seven Wonders aren’t as grateful as he assumed they’d be…

File Under: Science Fiction [ Heroes In Action | A Double Cross | Kapow! | Tables Turned ]

I still haven’t had a chance to read Empire State (I’ve not yet found myself in the mood for it), but I will get to it at some point. Mount ToBeRead is rather vertiginous at the moment…

And also, the absolutely stunning artwork for the limited edition of Joe Abercombie’s Best Served Cold, by Raymond Swanland:

Abercrombie-BestServedCold-SpecialEdArt

I love this one – it’s atmospheric, moody, stylish, evocative… How is it that Abercrombie can get so many amazing covers? His novels truly have been blessed by the Cover Fairy… This special edition of Best Served Cold will be published in the oh-so-vague “Fall 2012” by Subterranean Press. And Abercrombie’s novel continue to go unread by me… No, I do not know why. No, I do not even have a good excuse. Yes, I will be reading The Blade Itself in the next couple of months. I hope. Probably.

What do you think of these two covers?

10 comments:

  1. Pretty much anything Raymond Swanland does is golden... I based a tattoo off of one of his works. He can't do any wrong IMHO... Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Which cover inspired the tattoo? (That is very cool, FYI.)

      Delete
    2. I based it off of the cover he did for Towers of Midnight. I'm not sure if these links will work but here they are! To be honest I thought of Achamian from The Prince of Nothing series when I got it done... It's a rough picture too!

      http://images.wikia.com/wot/images/7/79/Mah'alleinir.jpg

      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=440791589271748&set=a.433214316696142.122410.325113690839539&type=3

      Delete
    3. Ooh, very cool.
      That picture's inspired the aesthetic of my own fantasy series - that one, plus the cover for The Shadow Rising. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've loved all of Swanland's art, but that cover might be his most accomplished piece yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning, isn't it?
      Would love it as a print...

      Same for the Seven Wonders - it would make a great, retro-style poster.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see they still managed to get a hooded fella on there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cmon Seth! Gotta love those hooded bad asses;)

      Delete
    2. I think the hooded fellows and ladies can be a useful device for fantasy covers - allows reader to "paint-in" the face of the character for themselves.

      Delete
  4. I quite like the style of the Seven Wonders cover, but for some reason the perspective is making my head spin.

    ReplyDelete